- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Survivor

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Survivor

I survived Snowmageddon 2010. I'm sure there are t-shirts being printed, as we speak, saying just that. It was quite a week. I was snowed in all week and I didn't actually get into my office until Friday. A one-day work week, leading nicely into a 3-day weekend (President's Day tomorrow). It's just ridiculous, though, because there's no place to put all this snow! Nor can anyone access sidewalks anywhere. And it's not like 3 feet of snow melts overnight. Oy! No good.

I did a fair amount of cooking while I was stuck inside with Jakers and Mabel. Made a delicious pot of kale soup, made a small batch of guacamole, and *maybe* snuck a small serving of rice pudding in as a treat! I had a green bell pepper that I had to use up, but have been way over doing the stir-fry veggies and rice lately, so wanted to do something different. I've missed chicken fajitas since choosing to be vegan (I used to make those a lot), but I know I've heard of restaurants doing mushroom fajitas. Normally, I would say portabellas or baby bellas would work well for this, but since I was snowed-in, I had to work with what was on hand. So I drained a can of sliced button mushrooms and used those...and it was pretty tasty! It's a pretty self-explanatory recipe, but I'll post below anyhow!


Oh, and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! :)


Veggie Fajitas

Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 small can of mushrooms, drained
Packet of fajita or taco seasoning
1/4 cup water (or less)
4 tortillas

Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add pepper, onion and mushrooms. Saute for about 10 minutes over low-med heat, but do not allow onion to carmelize. Add 1/4 to 1/2 packet of seasoning (no need to over-do it!) and water and heat another couple of minutes, until water is absorbed. Microwave tortillas for 30 seconds, to heat. Serve veggies inside tortillas with desired fixin's - I like vegan sour cream, hot sauce and a little guac! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment