- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: "Snowmageddon" Arrives

Friday, February 5, 2010

"Snowmageddon" Arrives

Being my first winter in DC, I've been pleased with how little snowfall this area gets. Then I heard on the news that the average annual snowfall for the DC metro is 15"...and we've already had well over that. (Well, shucks - I guess I can expect even less during a normal winter!) And to top it all off, we're forecasted to get another 18"- 24" this weekend! Now, even as a Minnesotan and Syracuse grad -- that's a lot of snow over 2 days. But you would not believe the chaos happening here!

Yesterday, the grocery stores were a madhouse. People were waiting on the street just to turn into the parking lots, the shelves were emptied, and lines were out the door. And then just tonight, the local news was reporting that gas stations were running out of regular unleaded fuel! WHAT?! People are loading up on food and gasoline for a 2-day snowstorm?! That's insanity. Everyone needs to relax.

Anyhow, with the lack of snowplows in the area to begin with, I don't anticipate leaving the apartment all weekend. Sounds good to me! :) I'm a homebody at heart, anyhow.

I, unlike the rest of DC, did not stock up for the weekend. I have plenty of food here for ONE WEEKEND. And since I was craving something sweet for dinner - but need to keep it small with my weight loss efforts (ie didn't want to bake a batch of cookies) - decided that I needed to use up an apple that was sitting in my fridge for a week now. You'll notice that am kind of a spaz about using up food before it goes bad. You'd swear I grew up during the Great Depression they way I feel about throwing out food. I did a Google search for "microwave apple crisp", because I'm classy like that, and found the recipe below. I made some tweaks, but overall, pretty darn tasty! I'd definitely try it again when wanting something sweet that doesn't involve baking a pan of brownies. Jakers was a fan, too.

Stay warm...I'm sure I'll do some more blogging while snowed in, fending off starvation and worrying about my fuel levels. :)


Microwave Apple Crisp...for one!

    1 medium apple
    3/4 tbsp cinnamon
    1/4 c. oats
    1 tsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. vegan margarine
1. Core, peel, and dice apple. Put into microwave safe bowl.

2. Mix cinnamon with apple.

3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

4. In a separate bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, and margarine.

5. Microwave about 30 seconds, until margarine is melted.

6. Stir until crumbly, and pour over apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment