- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Pink is the new Green

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pink is the new Green

Ever since I've been REALLY focusing on eating healthy the past few weeks, I've realized I need to add some variety to my meals. I like a big salad as much as - if not more than - the next girl, but the same old, same old gets...well...old.

I did some really elementary Google searches for terms like "power foods" or "super foods" and came up with some things like beets, kale(!), sweet potatoes and some other less than "traditional" foods, at least in my world. I had a friend turn me onto beets last year and kind of forgot about them, so decided to pick some up at the grocery store this week. They really are so tasty! PLUS, I learned the leaves at the top are edible! And you all know how much I don't like to waste food, so I of course had to take advantage of that. Sauteed, they are similar texture and flavor to kale. Love it.

My only issue is that after my CrossFit workouts, I need to be focusing more on protein and carbs, as "recovery" foods. A friend from high school advised me (via Facebook!) that it should be a 3:1 carb to protein ratio. So I'm working on that aspect of it -- more tofu in my future, I think! But the beets could be easily paired with some brown rice for healthy carbs.

Be warned: beets can turn anything (hands, counter, clothes) a really pretty shade of pink!


We Got the (roasted) Beets


1 bunch beets
~2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green onions or 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
sea salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Cut beets from stem. Scrub with water, dry and coat with olive oil (~1tbsp). Place in roasting dish/pan and cover with lid or tinfoil. Bake 40-60 mins until knife is easily inserted into the center of the beet.

Separate the leaves from the thick stems (smaller stems/veins are OK to leave in) and wash/dry. When beets are almost done roasting, put ~1tbsp of olive oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and heat a few minutes. Add beet greens, torn into smaller pieces, to pan and saute for about 10 minutes, until leaves are wilted and softened. Add a little sea salt to taste.

When beets are done, remove from pan and cut into quarters. Once they cool enough to not scald your flesh :), use a knife and fork to remove the peel from outside of beet (did you know there was a peel!?). Can serve with salt, pepper and butter - but I actually love them plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment