- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Soup-er Weekend!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Soup-er Weekend!

I've had a great week/weekend of CrossFit! I'm just so energized and motivated about working out again! I'm hoping to make it to the gym at least 4 days a week. I have to be realistic that there are other things going on in my life, so there will be nights I can't do it. But I also need to be sure to prioritize working out more-so than I often do.

I wanted to make something really healthy for lunch today, after working my butt off this morning. My sister had passed along a recipe that one of her coworkers gave her for asparagus soup. He had prepared it for a work potluck, so that my sister had a good veg-friendly alternative to the crock pots filled with meatballs, cocktail weenies and other animal-cruelty-filled dishes. I was kind of skeptical, based on the ingredient list. It's essentially leeks, onions and asparagus, blended with some veggie broth. Weird, right? But SO GOOD. I had also never cooked with leeks before, so after I bought these giant, tree-like things, had to go online to see how to use them. (They are essentially large green onions - so only use the bottom, white portion!)
Give it a try - super healthy and delicious (even though the picture - like many healthy foods - does not do it justice!)


Asparagus Soup

  • 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound, wooded end removed, cut into 1 inch pieces w/ tips reserved)
  • 3 small or 2 medium leeks, peeled & cleaned and cut into 1” sections
  • 2 small or 1 large white or yellow onion, peeled and quartered
  • 32 oz. of vegetable broth
  • 2 tsps. tarragon (can substitute basil or marjoram)
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine

Melt margarine in large pot over medium heat, add leeks, onion, and asparagus (without the tips). Cook until onions are translucent. Add vegetable broth. Boil the mixture until asparagus is cooked through. Use immersion blended to blend until smooth. (Alternatively, in batches, take the stock and vegetables into a blender and puree until smooth – do not over fill blender or it will make a mess and/or burn your hand.) Put puree mixture back on medium heat. Add seasoning, salt and asparagus tips. Cook until asparagus tips are cooked through. May add additional seasonings to taste.Optional: top with a dollop of vegan sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment