- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: No Vampires Gettin' Me!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

No Vampires Gettin' Me!

Do meteorologists ever get it right?! We were supposed to get *a little* snow today. But we've got to be going on 6", or so. I mean, I woke up at 9:30 this morning and it had already started and it hasn't slowed -- as we approach 5pm. I had big plans to take my nephew, Gus, to the park today to play fetch. (I should add that he's my canine nephew.) But instead, we'll have to put that off until tomorrow. Hopefully he's tougher than my baby Jakers, whose paws get too cold in snow, so can't walk for more than 5 or 10 mins.

Since we're stuck inside today, I'm tempted to snack all day - but I'm not! I'm pretty proud of myself. :) I'm hoping to get a run in tonight, although it might not happen, since no one has shoveled their sidewalks yet. Either way, gotta keep the calories low.

One of my favorite recipes lately is a garlic sauce that I combine with veggies and sometimes tofu. Then pair it with a little rice. It's the best garlic sauce I've ever had - way better than take out. But, really, anything with garlic is gonna be one of my faves! And it's perfect when I have a few veggies in the fridge that are on their last leg. Chop up some onions and broccoli and away I go! :)

I found it online, but made a few tweaks to it to make it my own (and vegan!). Enjoy!

Veggies in Garlic Sauce
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/4 c. maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 tbsp. cornstarch
  • a bag of frozen, mixed veggies or 2-3 cups fresh veggies
Combine all ingredients, except veggies, in a small bowl and mix with whisk.
In a pot, steam veggies until thawed/cooked.
In a large sauce pan, combine veggies and sauce and heat for ~5 minutes to heat sauce and allow to thicken. Serve with a side of rice of your choice.
Optional: Add cooked tofu, cubed

No comments:

Post a Comment