- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Size 2 Girls Don't Eat Carbs

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Size 2 Girls Don't Eat Carbs

If I could live on carbs alone, I would. I LOVE me some carbs. Breads, pastas, rice, beans, potatoes....YUM. So I'm trying to limit myself a bit and eat more produce, as I try to lose some weight and get in shape.

Not only am I training for this marathon in October, but I have some other - more superficial reasons - to lose the lbs. One of my good friends from college is getting married in June, and her bachelorette party is in April in....VEGAS! I've only been to Vegas once, and I can't wait to go back. There's gonna be quite a few of us girls there, and I just want to be comfortable in a bathing suit, poolside at the Hard Rock.
Secondly, one of my best friends from high school is getting married in September and I am so excited to be one of her bridesmaids! I love being a bridesmaid, but don't want to waddle down the aisle as the fat kid. So I'm hoping to be a size 2 by then. Alright, so a size 2 may be unrealistic, but a girl can dream. I like to blame genetics and say, "I'm not made to be a size 2", when in reality, I don't have the self-control for a size 2. :)

Anyhow, back to my carbs. While I'm running and eating salads for lunch every day, I'm not going to beat myself up over a few carbs in the evening. Tonight I made one of my favorite dishes. I first had something like this at an Italian restaurant near where my sister lives - we went there for her birthday one year. It's basically pasta with TONS of garlic, tomatoes, olive oil and seasonings. The key is the massive amounts of garlic - without it, it lacks a kick. So I experimented a bit and have done a pretty darn good job recreating it. Feel free to try it - recipe is below. (I like to make this when I have tomatoes that are on the verge of over-ripening and need to hurry up and use 'em!) Oh, and I made the name up - 'cuz I think it's a good description!



Bruscetta Spaghetti
  • 8+ cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 medium tomatoes (I use roma), chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • ~1tbsp of herb-mix seasoning (I like McCormick Original Perfect Pinch Seasoning)
  • ~1/2 tbsp of sea salt
  • a handful of spaghetti noodles

Prepare the pasta in a large pot. In a medium pan, saute the garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes. Don't let the garlic brown. Add tomatoes and saute for about 5 mins until tomatoes have softened. Add salt and seasoning and lower heat to simmer a few minutes - until pasta is ready. Toss (drained) spaghetti and olive oil combo together and serve hot. This will make 2 large servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment