- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Taking Care of Business

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Taking Care of Business

Hi! So sorry I haven't posted for such a long time (that's, of course, directed to my 4 followers). :) It's been a busy few weeks. My brother got married (I rocked the cleavage-baring dress that I mentioned a few posts ago). I have been working my butt of at PETA - we've been a bit short staffed, but have taken care of that problem with a couple of FABULOUS new hires! And I also got a second job, doing some part-time (evening/weekend) child care for a family a few miles away. It's a great way to pay off some of my cross-country-move debt....and it's a relaly nice family, so I'm happy to help out.
Combine all that with my needy dog and my 9 hrs per night sleep requirement, not much time for blogging. :)

However, now that life should slow down a bit, I'm determined to make more of an effort to see DC and be more social. When my friend Grant was in town in April for a school conference, one of his friends from school introduced me to her good friend, Eliza, who lives in DC. With Eliza and I both being good ol' Minnesota girls, living in DC, we naturally have something in common. She asked if I wanted to grab coffee today, so we met near her apartment in Capitol Hill. That area is SO CUTE. When I was doing my apartment hunt from Minneapolis, I thought about Capitol Hill, but decided against it, because it really is hard to pick the safe blocks from the unsafe blocks when you're not living there. I felt safer staying out in Arlington, but I could see moving to CH at some point down the road. Find me a nice politician to marry. :)

So Eliza and I grabbed some lunch at her apartment (she's a vegetarian, so that made deciding on what we'd eat easier). Then we walked a few blocks to a cute coffee shop for some iced coffee/chai to combat the humidity. We wandered around the Capitol, the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress. I keep saying this -- but it's unbelievable that there are so many historic sites in one city! I think I could play the role of tourist for years and never see it all! My dad mentioned that he's got his eye on plane tickets, so hopefully he'll come visit soon. He would really love the National Mall. And my mom & sister are also talking about visiting this summer!

So it was a good day, and I was glad to get out and do something. Made a quick stop at Whole Foods on the way home and am now preparing to make a little homemade Pad Thai for dinner. I've also got some great new recipes that I'm anxious to post and talk about, but that will have to wait for another day. Oooh, and get out and buy some corn on the cob -- it's in season and deeeeelish! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment