- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: The Little Man Strikes Again

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Little Man Strikes Again

Urgh. Much to my chagrin, my little Jakers left his mark on the new apartment.

Let's start with his back story, so you can grasp the situation. Let's go back to two years ago. I was working at Carmichael Lynch, and it was our first summer Friday, so the office shut down at noon. A few of us went out to lunch and my friend, Carrie, suggested going to the Humane Society that afternoon. I was hesitant, since I'd never been and it sounded awfully depressing. She assured me it wasn't and it was an opportunity to give the animals some much-needed love. I agreed to tag along. Although, I warned all three of the other girls that I don't have time for a pet, so don't let me take a cat home (I used to consider myself just a cat person).

We walked in and spent some time with the cats. It took everything in me to resist taking one home. But I knew I didn't have the time or money to devote to a cat. It wouldn't be prudent. We moved on to the dogs and all these labs were jumping at their gates, barking, just begging for attention. We were all petting these anxious labs and giving them our full attention, when I noticed the saddest little fella ever. He was this little white dog with some brown spots on his head. Quite the mutt. He was laying on a towel, in the back corner of his cement kennel. I looked at his info card, and it said he had been brought in several days earlier. The reason? He had accidents in the house. Here was this 5 year old dog who obviously just needed the right person to come along and have patience with him. At 5 yrs, it's not about being house trained. There's something more behind an "accident". My heart broke. I knelt down, and coaxed him to the gate and he just soaked up the affection I offered. My heart melted.

I asked a volunteer if I could take him out to the outdoor dog run. Not because I was going to take him home, but because I thought he deserved the attention -- just because he wasn't as hyper as a lab, begging for love, didn't mean he didn't deserve it. We stepped outside, and while all the other dogs were barking, whining, howling and just overall out of control. This little white mutt was only concerned with me.

That was it. I couldn't live without him. I put a deposit down (sounds weird, I know) and went out that night and bought food, dishes, beds, blankets, toys, treats, leashes...anything that would make this dog's life easier. I felt sick that night, knowing that he had to spend one more minute without a home (I had to work a PT job that night, though, so couldn't get him until Saturday morning). I arrived at the shelter just after they opened that next morning, and wondered if this dog, Jake, would remember me. He did. He definitely did. We had a bond that would last forever. We got out to my car and he crawled onto my lap and was asleep by the time we got out of the parking lot. He knew he could trust me and that I would look after him for the rest of his life.

(Wow. I'm crying, just reliving that day.)
I did some phone calling over the next week and discovered he had been in and out of shelters for the month previous...people kept adopting him, then bringing him back because he had an accident in the house. One person actually brought him back because he shed too much! Working for PETA has allowed me see how often these sorts of things happen -- people don't take owning a pet as seriously as they should.

I've come to learn that Jakers suffers from separation anxiety. He doesn't pee to be naughty....he is permanently scarred and pees out of anxiety. I have done everything in my power to help him feel safe and secure and know that every time I walk out that door, I'll be coming back. But I think the trauma is ingrained in his little brain. And ya know what? I accept him, flaws & all. I just need to put down a training pad everytime I leave and he can do his business there.

Today was a bad day --while I was out running a 5k this morning, Jakers used my carpet as his pee pad. But for every bad day, there are 100 good days. Material things can always be fixed or replaced. You can't put a price on Jakers. I didn't think I had the time to take care of a pet. But really, it was just a matter of priorities. I am more than happy to trade in a night at the bar for the unconditional love of my babies.

Alright, that got lengthy. But you already must realize my passion for Jakers.

PS Tuesday (May 19th) is our anniversary and his 7th birthday. Feel free to send gifts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment