- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Eat Up, Carnivores

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Eat Up, Carnivores

My mom anxiously called me during a commercial break on ABC's evening news tonight and asked me if the national news aired at the same time in DC as it does in Mpls. Yes, Mom, we get the news here too. It was cute, though, --she saw that the upcoming story was on beef production and thought I'd be interested -- and I was. So I tuned to ABC and was hugely disappointed. The story was a good one -- informing the public of this latest beef recall (380,000 pounds!) and pointing out that the E.coli we're always hearing about comes from - *dramatic pause* - cattle feces. Mmmmm. Gives your Hamburger Helper a little zing, eh?

ABC had the right idea, and even referenced the new documentary, Food Inc and interviewed Michael Pollan (great book, check it out!). The let down came in the G-rating format they chose. If you're going to talk the talk, walk the walk and SHOW America the obscene and graphic images that is our factory farming operations. That's where those neat little burgers on the "barbie" came from. It was just way too mild. I'm sure ABC would hate to cause middle-America to gag on their beef stroganoff while eating dinner & watching TV. I gagged on my veggie stir-fry, just hearing about factory farming. Ugh,

For those of you who want to take the risk, keep eating your animal products. And if something tastes a little funny in your meatloaf, don't worry - that's just cow poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment