- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Because It Tastes Better When Someone Else Makes It

Monday, January 19, 2009

Because It Tastes Better When Someone Else Makes It

So today, I came home from work and was TOTALLY craving Chinese food. It's an easy option, since there are plenty of vegan options in Asian food - I love veggie lo mein and veggie chow mein. And anything with fried tofu. :) But, since I'm trying to save money these days, I bit the bullet and sifted through my cupboards. I came across a can of chow-mein veggies and the crunchy chow-mein noodles. And of course I have rice on hand. So I made my own Chinese food. But it wasn't the same. It's that way with salads, too -- I could make salads all day long, and they would never taste quite as good as it does when you go out to a restaurant.

This leads me into my point (it took awhile, I know). I thought I'd share some of my favorite restaurants/cuisines to find vegan options. Living in Minneapolis, it's not like LA, NY, Portland or DC -- there aren't as many "vegan only" restaurants.

1) Chipotle -- I learned about this one early on, as veggie burritos were served at the animal advocacy conference last May. To minimize carbs, I go with the burrito bol and get lots of veggies, beans, salsa and guac. I honestly don't even miss the meat, cheese or sour cream!
(Side note -- at any Mexican restaurant, you can get the taco salad with beans -- hold the meat, cheese and sour cream). Pair that with a bucket o' chips and salsa, you're good to go. NOTE: I never claimed these were the HEALTHIEST options. :)

2) Thai -- My favorite is a local place called Tum Rup Thai, but any place would work. Thai tends to work well with the vegan diet, because they offer lots of veggie options in entrees and sauces, and you can usually get tofu in place of meat on anything. My favorite is the good ol' pad thai. I could literally eat it every day (and weigh 100 lbs more than I do right now).

3) Noodles & Co -- I of course have to mention them, because they are a client of ours at my advertising agency! :) But beyond that, they have some great salads and pasta dishes that work for us veggies. Tasty treat, and someplace I can go with the meat eaters in my life and everyone's happy!

4) Subs - Potbelly, Subway, Jimmy Johns...you name it, and they are all a delicious option for lunch or dinner. Again, load up with all the veggies on the menu and you don't even notice the cheese, mayo or meat being gone!

With almost any retaurant, you can MAKE something on the menu vegan-friendly. Although I will say that Applebee's and Red Lobster are NOT veg-friendly locations. (This is unfortunate for my family, because they're big chain restaurant people.) Even though it may get old always opting for veggie burgers or salads, I am willing to do so often times, so that I can dine out with my family and friends who don't choose a vegan lifestyle. Just hoping they'll come around soon. :)

2 comments:

  1. "(This is unfortunate for my family, because they're big chain restaurant people.)"
    I think that is a somewhat broad generalization for your family. Some members of your family are stuck in the suburbs with a baby, and have no choice BUT chain restaurants.
    I think you should give BK a shout-out for adding veggie burgers to their menu - more fast food places need to come around and offer something besides meat-only options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first follower AND commenter, Jill!

    And in response, Burger King is still an evil empire -- one veggie burger (slathered in mayo) on the menu does not counteract all of the cruelty-filled items. But I'm with ya -- I wish fast food would get on the meat-free bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete