- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Advertising: It Works

Friday, January 23, 2009

Advertising: It Works

So I may be slightly biased, since I work in advertising, but my friend Shannon from work sent me this link to some amazing ad campaigns:
http://webecoist.com/2008/12/27/creative-ads-environment-humanity/

I was surprised at how affected (effected?) I was, since you would think at this point, I wouldn't be swayed by advertising as much as the non-advertising industry folks, right? But these ads are amazing. Especially the WWF ads. They are such a wonderful non-profit who does so much for animals. I actually utilized WWF this year for Christmas presents -- for both my niece and my friend Amanda's daughter, Bella, I adopted an animal in their name, and in return WWF sent them stuffed animals and an adoption certificate. I would encourage others to look into doing this for gift giving down the road! It's a great way to (a) help animals and (b) show children that the holidays aren't all about taking, but can also be about giving back.

I also really thought the Lavera cosmetics ad campaign was moving. I think some may find it a bit graphic, but I think it has to be to get through to people. The abuse and death of millions of animals in product testing - esp cosmetics - is really graphic. I am definitely aware that ignorance is bliss. I HATE seeing pictures of animals suffering or hearing stories of animals in perilous situations, but it took graphic undercover videos from factory farms to open my eyes to the world of veganism. And I have friends who were really moved by the book "Skinny Bitch", because hearing about the harsh treatment of animals made them realize what they are truly eating.

Kind of a harsh blog post for a Friday, I realize. But sometimes a little reality check is good for us. I'll try to make my next post a bit more light-hearted to even it out, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment