- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: What Happens with Arugula, Stays with Arugula

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Happens with Arugula, Stays with Arugula

This is it! Off to Vegas tomorrow. And although my CrossFitting and dieting has definitely shown some results, I'm still not quite ready to slip into a bathing suit. Too bad, 'cuz it's gotta happen. I bought a couple of new tankinis, so I think we can keep things decent. :)

I do want to share a new favorite salad recipe before I head out for the weekend Just in case you're under the gun to fit into a bathing suit amongst 15 of your skinny friends. Not that I'm bitter - I'm happy to be the chubby friend. Really. *sigh* :)
Anyhow, I made this several times last week. I got the recipe from this month's issue of Vegetarian Times. Sounds like some sexy reading, eh? In all seriousness, I'm a huge fan of this magazine. It's the only subscription I'm still willing to pay for these days. I always get at least one recipe that I love from each issue. And there are lots of ideas and health tips.

What drew me to this recipe is the artichokes. I LOVE artichokes. The canned ones (used in this recipe) are tasty, but even better are fresh, steamed artichokes. If you've never made them before - do it! Or at least order it from a restaurant and have them prepare it for you. :)
If you haven't worked arugula into salads before, you may not expect the strong, peppery flavor. But I think it adds a perfect contrast to the salty kalamata olives and sweet vinaigrette here.

Sliced Artichoke and Baby Arugula Salad

Vinaigrette
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. aged balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
Salad
  • 8 cups baby arugula leaves
  • 8 oil-packed artichoke hearts, drained, patted dry, and cut in 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
  • 4 Tbs. chopped fresh chives (I used green onions)
1. To make Vinaigrette: Whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. To make Salad: Toss together arugula, artichoke hearts, olives, and Vinaigrette. Top with tomatoes and chives. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment