- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: A Girl Needs Her Omega-3s!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Girl Needs Her Omega-3s!

I was in a big cooking mood last night when I got home from work. I started out making some guacamole, thinking I'd have a taco salad for dinner. But once I finished having a few chips & guac, decided steamed broccoli sounded delish -- random, I know. So I steamed some broccoli and topped with with nutritional yeast, to give it a bit of a cheesy flavoring. It's the best a vegan can do, really. :)

Then I remembered I had purchased some tempeh when I was at Whole Foods last weekend. If you haven't tried tempeh, you are missing out! It's basically a cake of fermented soybeans. By fermenting the soybeans, you are left with a higher amount of protein, fiber and vitamins - things everyone needs more of! I haven't done too much cooking with it, but I have fallen in love with a recipe for Tempeh "Chicken" Salad my cousin, Leah gave me. Leah has been a vegan for many years. (Her mom is my Aunt Sanda, who passed along the Kale Soup recipe to me -- so it's a trusted source!) I always thought it was a strange diet choice, but of course now totally understand. She has such a warm heart and a kindness for animals and our earth. I appreciate her wisdom. She has been so supportive of and helpful with my vegan lifestyle.

I digress...as usual. So she made this recipe as sort of an appetizer at both Thanksgiving and Christmas this past year. I DEVOURED it. It looked strange at first, but it tastes so good. It really is similar to a chicken salad, but not so heavy and mayo-y. She just served it with crackers (I prefer Triscuits or Ritz), but I've also put it in wraps or between bread for a nice sammy! It's easy, makes a good amount - which keeps well int he fridge for several days - and is really healthy! Oh, and this is also a great way to work in flax seeds. I bought some awhile back, after learning how high in protein, fiber and Omega-3s they are - but have not found a good dish to work them into...until now!


Tempeh "Chicken" Salad

8 oz pkg of tempeh (recipe calls for the 3-grain tempeh, but I used the garden veggie tempeh)
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. flax seeds
1-2 carrots, shredded
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1/4 c. onion, finely chopped
1/4 c. finely chopped parsley (I used about 1 tbsp dried parsley)
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup soy mayonnaise
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbs soy sauce
pepper to taste

* Cut tempeh into approx 1" cubes and steam for about 10-15 mins, until tender. Remove from heat, allow to cool a bit and crumble into mixing bowl.
* Saute sunflower & flax seeds over med heat for 4-5 mins or until golden. Remove from heat and mix with crumbled tempeh.
* Add carrot, celery, onion, parsley, basil and garlic to tempeh mix.
* In separate dish, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and soy sauce. Add to tempeh mix.
* Add mayo and stir well.
* Serve on sandwich or as dip for crackers.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, love the recipes you're posting! Do you grind your flax up? I've read that you really need to grind it up in order to digest it properly and reap the benefits!

    Definitely check out Vegan Dad and Happy Herbivore for some great flax recipes!
    http://vegandad.blogspot.com/
    http://happyherbivore.com/

    ReplyDelete