- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Here, You Try It

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Here, You Try It

My family has not embraced my veganism as I had hoped they would. Don't get me wrong -- they haven't disowned me or called me stupid. But I guess I was envisioning my lifestyle change impacting them more than it has. I'll give my mom credit -- she will call me from the middle of Costco and ask me I've ever tried "this stuff called hummus" and when I assure her it's tasty, she buys a 1/2 gallon of it -- for me. She has also bought me a 50-pack of Boca Burgers. So I think that's her cute way of trying to help. While she's not interested in making the change herself, she'll load me up with some vegan delicacies. :)

Thinking about my mom's attempt to embrace my new lifetyle made me suddenly remember a stew recipe I got from her. It was in the local newspaper - the Minneapolis Star Tribune one Sunday and she went out of her way to cut it out, call me to tell me she cut it out and then make plans to get together that week so she could give it to me. I made it that same week and was really pleased with it. You've got to enjoy black beans for this to be a winner in your book -- and I do, so it was a hit! And I feel like there might be some fun variations you could put on this recipe, with some additonal veggies perhaps, but I'm not confident enough to suggest any. :) I'm just always a fan of recipes that call for a lot of things that I have around my house already, so I can make it on a whim and don't need to spend a fortune at the grocery store to make that happen.

Anyhow, here's to you, Mom... :)

CUBAN BLACK-BEAN STEW WITH RICE

Serves 4.

• 1 1/2 c. long-grain white or brown rice

• 1 tbsp. olive oil

• 1 medium red onion, chopped

• 1 clove garlic, minced

• 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped

• 2 (19-oz. cans) black beans, rinsed and drained

• 1 (14.5-oz.) can vegetable broth

• 1 tbsp. cider vinegar

• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

• Coarse salt and ground pepper

• Optional garnishes: lime wedges, fresh cilantro and sliced radishes

Directions

Prepare rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add beans, broth, vinegar and oregano. Cook, mashing some beans with the back of a spoon, until slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve beans over rice, with garnishes if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment