- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: The Best of Both Worlds

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

I'm pretty stoked for tomorrow - I'm running the Poplar Springs Animal Sanctuary's "Run for the Animals 5k". Last year, I was the captain of Team PETA for this race. This year, I'm running as a member of Team COK. All of the funds raised go to support the rescued animals living on the farm. But not only is a great fundraising event, but it also is just a really fun time. A lot of people coming together to share their passion for animals. And afterwards, there are various awards given out for the fastest finishers, highest fundraisers, fastest team, etc. and tons of great food - including Sticky Fingers desserts!

So in anticipation of binging on sweets tomorrow, I wanted to get some veggies in tonight. I recently came across this great recipe for -- wait for it -- KALE CHIPS! My favorite food combined with a salty snack?! YES, PLEASE! I found this recipe on the same website on which I found the delicious biscuits recipe that I posted recently, called Savvy Abby. I used some of the comments on the original blog post to tweak my recipe a bit and I think it was a success. These chips are crispy and salty, just like potato chips, but made from kale...so much healthier - and baked, not fried. And with the vinegar, it gives it a taste similar to salt & vinegar chips. YUM, right? :) You can also use less salt if you want to watch your sodium intake. Enjoy!


Kale Chips
  • 1 large bunches kale, washed and de-stemmed
  • 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop or tear kale into chip-size pieces. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix to coat.

Spread kale onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until crispy (kale will wilt down.) Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment