- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Spicin' Things Up

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spicin' Things Up

I have had a hectic week. It's all I can do to get home from CrossFit, throw together some dinner and stumble to bed. But a coworker had passed along a chili recipe last week that I really wanted to try. So tonight I decided to make time for it. Even though a 9:00 dinner is not ideal, it was worth the wait for this delicious chili! I had never used the chili peppers in adobo sauce, but they use them on Food Network all the time, so I felt like a pro. :) My coworker said he put the entire can -sauce and all - in a food processor and used that in this recipe. I sort of wiped the sauce off the peppers and chopped just those up, since I can't handle too much spice. I'm a Minnesotan -- ketchup is spicy to me. :)
**Edit to the above - my coworker used 2 cans(!) of chilis in adobo sauce! He thinks the sauce doesn't really add much spice, but rather more sweet...so it was dumb of me to try and keep that out. :)

Even if you're not vegan, I would encourage you to try this recipe. It's easy - beyond chopping a couple things up, it's just opening some cans and dumping it. It's also very hearty and filling. You don't miss the animal cruelty - er, I mean meat.

Note: My favorite thing about this picture is the personalized SpaghettiOs Spoon! My mom ordered those for my brother and I off of the SpaghettiOs can when we were little. I still love it.


Spicy Vegan Chili

  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, minced
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 5 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (use half the can for less spice)
  • 2 bottles dark beer (I used Yuengling Black & Tan)
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper (season to taste - these are adjustable)
Heat olive oil in large pot or dutch oven (4qt or larger) over medium heat, add pepper, onion and garlic and saute until soft (~5 mins). Add in everything else and bring to a simmer (over med heat). Continue to simmer and stir frequently for 45-60 minutes, until liquid reduces and it reaches a good "chili like" consistency. Top with vegan sour cream, cheese, guacamole or whatever you prefer. I like to serve - the old fashioned way - with saltines. :)

1 comment:

  1. If it's got beer, who cares if it's got meat? Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete