- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: A Very Vegan Thanksgiving

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Very Vegan Thanksgiving

Okey dokey. It's time to share with you the feast I LIVED AND BREATHED for two days. Now, for a normal person, there would be leftovers for a week - but I'm a growing girl, so did some real damage over the course of 48 hrs.

Here's the menu:
  • Pillsbury Dinner Rolls (this was my one cheat - it's just so convenient that they're vegan!)
  • Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts
  • Traditional Vegetable Stuffing
  • Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes (skin on!)
  • Homemade Gravy
  • Roasted Tofurky Roast
  • Sweet Potato Pie w/ Whipped Cream
Impressive for a single gal, no? Now feast your eyes on the pictures!! (There are a lot, because there was a lot of food!)

I made my sweet potato pie on Wednesday night. I stole this recipe from Food.com, and I would highly recommend it! Once the sweet potatoes were baked, it was just a matter of combining all the ingredients in a food processor and baking. Easy peasy!


My little helper staked out his spot on the carpet to watch me cook -- I put a blanket down for him, so he could get good & comfy. (Don't worry, that's his stuffed orange kitten toy in front of him...not a real kitten carcass.)


Everything's in the oven! That's my roast on top, with my brussels sprouts and stuffing below. I somehow timed everything just about perfectly!


The feast! My little counter was taken over by my Thanksgiving dinner.


Look at those maple roasted brussels sprouts with toasted hazelnuts! So sweet and delicious! I got this recipe off the NYTimes website (courtesy of the amazing VEGAN Chef Chloe Coscarelli). Couldn't be easier. I'll definitely make these again.


I do think the Pillsbury rolls are really tasty. I have a great biscuit recipe, but figured I had enough things to do on Thursday, so I'd cheat just this once.


Here's my Tofurky roast and my gravy. You add some veggies (and a basting liquid) to to the Tofurky for flavoring. I *do* still have those veggies and the stuffing from inside the roast leftover in my fridge. A delicious bonus meal. :)


Here are my mashed potatoes and stuffing. I love the skin on -- and the trick is to boil the taters with a few garlic cloves, and then drain and mash 'em all up with margarine, sea salt and soy milk. YUM. And I love that this stuffing tastes just like the stuff my mom makes (except it doesn't come out of the crotch of a dead bird). ***RECIPE BELOW***

Here she is! My Thanksgiving meal. I'm not a big wine drinker, but I felt like the holiday called for a little something special. :)


And here's what was happening alongside my table. Don't worry....I shared. :)


I loved my day of cooking, feasting and napping. But now I'm already focused on burning those calories off. Today was my first run since the marathon. My foot has been feeling much better, so I'm hoping I'm not pushing my luck. I guess I'll know tomorrow morning!

Who's ready for Christmas?! :)


***STUFFING RECIPE***
6 cups of bread, torn into pieces
2 Tbsp margarine
1 onion
3 stalks celery
2 large carrots
1/4 tsp rosemary, thyme, sage & parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 c vegetable stock

Preheat oven to 325-degrees.Combine rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley & salt in small dish. Chop all vegetables. Warm margarine in medium saucepan and saute the onion, celery and carrots over medium heat. Add veggies to bowl with torn bread. Add the herbs to bread, as well. Drizzle vegetable stock over the bread & veggie mixture. Mix well. Bake, uncovered for 20-30 mins in pan. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment