- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Farm Sanctuary Tour & a Veg McMuffin Recipe

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Farm Sanctuary Tour & a Veg McMuffin Recipe

What a great day! I started the morning off with my friend, Breanne. We decided to try a spinning class in the South End at a place called Recycle Studio. It was just what the doctor ordered! I hadn't done a cycle class in years - since I lived in DC and would go to a studio in Bethesda with my friend, Jen. So once Breanne suggested it, I was fully on board. And it was everything we hoped it would be. A small sized class, dimly lit studio for a very zen experience, and everyone was so nice and welcoming, which feels good when you're a newbie! I had forgotten what an awesome workout cycling was, but leaving the 45-minute class drenched with sweat and feeling that good kind of burn, I was quickly reminded. :)

Once I got home, showered, had some lunch, and snuggled Jakers and Mabel, I hopped back in my car and drove about an hour west of Boston to a town called Mendon. I had signed up for a tour of Maple Farm Sanctuary. They are a non-profit that exists solely to rescue animals and allow them to live out their days in peace and harmony. Many of the rescues are from factory farms, but others have come from irresponsible pet owners who don't realize what they're getting into when they buy that cute baby goat or pig.
This place is awesome. 120 acres of bliss. I was in heaven, hearing the stories of rescue and petting these sweet babies. They have so many goats that just roam the barns like dogs - so friendly and sweet. The highlight might be Jonathan - their 600 pound pig! Here are some highlights:

One of the many llamas on the farm.
 These sheep were rescued from abusive owners. So sweet.
 A potbellied pig that an owner decided they couldn't handle.
 Jonathan, the 600 lb pig and his best friend, a miniature horse. Also, more llamas & goats.
 A beautiful male turkey rescued from a factory farm.
 A dairy cow rescue who was super friendly and affectionate.
 Some of the many ducks and chickens that seem to really love each other. :)
 Putt-Putt, the sweetest little goat you'll ever meet!

Okay, so that was a lot of pictures - but it's hard to pick just a couple. So many animals that I adore! I just emailed them my volunteer application. I hope to make the drive every-other weekend to help with anything they need. My ultimate dream is to open my own farm sanctuary someday, so this will be valuable experience!

Today's tour was also a good reminder of why I make the effort to live a vegan life. And, during my drive to and from Minnesota for the holidays, I was reminded of how challenging it could be when I was craving breakfast, but couldn't eat anything on the drive-thru menus. But it got me craving a breakfast sandwich, so I made my own this weekend! Check it out - it's amazing how much the right seasonings can make the tofu taste just like an egg!

Vegan Breakfast Sandwich (Veg McMuffin)

  • English muffin
  • Vegan cheese slice (I like the Galaxy Nutritional Foods American slices, which you can find at Whole Foods)
  • Vegan sausage patty (I like the Whole Foods, 365 brand)
  • Extra firm tofu
  • 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
  • Margarine
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Salt & Pepper
Lightly toast your english muffin and spread margarine lightly on both halves. Prepare vegan sausage patty as directed (microwave is easiest). Heat canola oil in saute pan over medium heat. Slice tofu into 3/4" section and use a drinking glass to cut out a circle. Press tofu circle firmly between towels to get moisture out. Add to hot oil. Lightly season tofu with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. After 3-5 mins (when side facing down is lightly browned), flip and season other side with just salt and pepper. Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Assemble sandwich and enjoy while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment