- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Countdown to Chicago & Collard Greens

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Countdown to Chicago & Collard Greens

TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!! Oh my gosh, this marathon is sneaking up on me. I know I *can* do this, but it's not going to be easy. This was a brutal summer of training - injuries and distractions everywhere! I realized today (this morning, on a run actually) that I've done most of my training in the afternoons and evenings - which is not my best idea, considering I need to run 26.2 miles at 8:00am. And your body is just at a different place in the morning vs the evening. I used to always be a morning runner, but in my old age, it gets harder to get out of bed. Especially when I've got a cat and dog snuggled up next to me - SNOOZE BUTTON.

I don't think I've ever mentioned Boston Organics on my blog, but it's this great service I discovered shortly after moving to Boston. Basically, you sign up for a type of box - I do the "small box" - and every Friday they deliver me a bunch of delicious fruits and veggies. It's been great, because it has gotten me to try a variety of produce that I wouldn't normally pick up at the grocery store. I've learned I love daikon radishes (recipe to share later!) and also had my first try at making collard greens. I already knew I loved these - one of my fave DC restaurants, Everlasting Life Cafe, makes some amazing greens! - but I'd never prepared them myself.

An Instagram photo from a Boston Organics order - yum!

After a quick Google, I found a recipe on Food.com and it looked like a winner. And I was right - so tasty! The cider vinegar gives it a bit of a bite, though, so keep that in mind if you want to add a little less for a little less of a kick! I'll put a link to the recipe below, and also copy & paste for convenience.

Vegan Collard Greens
2 lbs collard greens
4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Wash greens well, submerging in a sink full of cold water to remove any dirt and grit. Drain well. Cut off the stems right where the leaf starts. Stack about 5-8 leaves on top of each other, then roll lengthwise. Cut rolled up leaves into 1" slices widthwise. Repeat until all the greens are done, and add to a large pot.
Add all other ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are extremely tender. Serve hot, using a slotted spoon to drain the liquid from the greens.
http://soul.food.com/recipe/easy-vegetarian-collard-greens-215631

No comments:

Post a Comment