- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: Portland: A Vegan's Holy Land

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Portland: A Vegan's Holy Land

I think I found a new favorite city. And it's Portland.


I flew out to Oregon a couple of weeks ago. One of my closest friends from college lives in Portland and it's terrible that I haven't been to visit her sooner. (She's visited me in Minnesota twice and DC once.) It was about dang time I got out there. And we had a fun-filled weekend!

Highlights include (don't be surprised at all the food mentions):
  • Multiple options for vegan cupcakes - we went to Saint Cupcake and enjoyed some DELICIOUS desserts
  • My friend works for the Trailblazers, so good seats to two NBA games (including the Timberwolves)
  • Two words: Slappy Cakes...it's a restaurant with griddles built into the table, so you choose the batter and toppings, and make your own pancakes at the table (vegan batter, toppings and butter are available!)
  • Voodoo Doughnuts, which is a well known doughnut shop with TONS of vegan options
  • Powell's Books - a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) bookstore with both new and used books. Anything and everything you might like. We wandered the main location in Portland, but I didn't buy any books and kicked myself later. Luckily, they also have a location at the Portland Airport! So I got me some quality used books! :)
  • Most importantly, good friends. I got to see some (new and old) Portland friends, some friends from Mpls who recently moved to Portland and one of my closest friends in DC also flew out for the weekend. Just an all around good weekend.
I am hoping to get back out this summer. It rained the entire weekend, so I'd like to check out the non-winter weather. Although, rain and 50s is GORGEOUS January weather to a girl who grew up in Minnesota. Plus, with all of our other "must see" food stops, we didn't even check out the food carts of Portland -- so I really DO need to get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment