- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.7ohWPPsG.dpuf Eat Your Kale: This is why I don't Stop to Smell the Roses

Monday, September 6, 2010

This is why I don't Stop to Smell the Roses

I was so excited for the gorgeous weather this long, Labor Day weekend. I was anxious to turn off the AC and open up the apartment to bring in some fresh air and allow Jakers and Mabel to get to smell the outside smells. (They love just chillin' in front of the open windows. Easily amused.)

So this morning, I bust out the vacuum cleaner and suck up all the cobwebs and random dead bugs that accumulated in between the screen and window over the summer. And off goes the AC! It was lovely for aboooooout 15 minutes. That's when the excessive pollen count slapped me across the face. I tried to suck it up for a few hours, but have since closed up the apartment again and am trying to keep my upper-respiratory system from shutting down.

I just don't know if non-allergy sufferers understand it. You know that feeling in your face the SECOND before you sneeze? Yeah - I feel like that all the time. My face is tingly, my eyes are watering and puffy and I can't stop blowing my nose. And this is all happening while I'm on a daily allergy med. Can you imagine if I DIDN'T take meds already?? Oy vey.

Anyhow, I was thinking about doing take-out for dinner, but I think we'll just stay safe & sound indoors now. I think I have the ingredients for a salad that I really love. I got the recipe from my Aunt Carlotta (famous for her pickles). She makes this salad at a lot of family get-togethers and I just love it! And it happens to be vegan...yay!

FUMI SALAD

dressing

  • 4 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 c vegetable oil
  • 6 Tbsp white or apple cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients with a whisk and set aside.

salad

  • 1 head cabbage, shredded (or you can buy the already-chopped bagged cabbage)
  • 8 Tbsp slivered almonds
  • 8 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 8 Tbsp chopped green onion
  • 1 pkg. Ramen noodles (crush in bag)

Brown sesame seeds and almonds in a little bit of margarine on the stove. Combine cabbage and green onions in large bowl. Just before serving, add sesame seeds, almonds and crushed Ramen noodles and toss. Coat with dressing and serve.

Now...whose going to take Jakers for his evening walk??? Oh. Guess that will be me. *sigh* Thus is the life of a single parent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment